NHL® Discover it® Card Review
Your cash back rewards begin with 5% cash back (up to the quarterly max - currently $1,500 - then 1% back) in rotating quarterly categories and an unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases. Although you do need to sign up each quarter to get the 5% back, Discover features automatic emails you can register for that prompt you to sign up. Additionally, users will earn 2x the cash back they've earned in their first year of card ownership. So you'll get double the cash back you earned in the first year - a pretty great bonus. That means if you earn $250 in your first year, Discover will double it to $500.
Plus you get to pick a card that displays the colors and logo of "your" team - proudly showing that you're a team supporter. And you'll also get a free TransUnion FICO® Score on you monthly statement, which can help you keep track of your credit over time. Although Equifax and Experian scores aren't provided, it's nice that the TransUnion score is included as it's at least one data point in your credit history. Those who travel outside the U.S. will appreciate that there are no foreign transaction fees on international purchases.
The Discover Freeze it feature lets users "freeze" their account from their smartphone or computer if their card is misplaced. Freezing your account prevents new purchases, cash advances and balance transfers from happening. This is a convenient feature, particularly in situations where you're not sure where your card is but you're not quite ready to call and have it cancelled.
NHL® Discover it® Card is a great pick for NHL team supporters wishing to combine generous cash back rewards (2x cash back in the first year!) with a 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers. It is also a good card for travelers as it has no foreign transaction fees.
Highlights From Discover
- Choose your favorite team & show your pride – all 30 teams available. Save 10% at Shop.NHL.com and NHL.TV™.
- Get a dollar-for-dollar match of all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically.
- Earn 5% cash back in rotating categories each quarter like gas stations, Amazon.com, restaurants, wholesale clubs and more, up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate. Plus, unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Get 100% U.S. based customer service & your FICO® Credit Score for free on monthly statements & online.
- No annual fee.
- Click "APPLY NOW" to see rates, rewards, FICO® Credit Score terms, Cashback Match™ details & other information. ©NHL
- Discover will automatically double all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year. This offer is only for new cardmembers.
- Earn 5% cash back in rotating categories each quarter up to the quarterly maximum (currently $1,500) each time you activate.
- Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases, with no limit on how much you can earn.
- Get 10% off at Shop.NHL.com and NHL.TV™.
- Rewards are redeemable in any amount at any time.
- Deposit into your bank account or credit your Discover card account.
- Turn your cash rewards into more when you redeem for gift cards or eCertificates from over 100 brand-name Partners.
Fees and APR
- Annual Fee: $0
- Foreign Transaction Fee: None.
- 0% Intro Purchase APR: 0% APR for the first 14 months, then Purchase APR.
- Purchase APR: 11.49% – 23.49% Variable, depending on creditworthiness.
- Balance Transfers: 0% Intro APR for 14 months, then Purchase APR. Balance transfer fee is 3% of the amount of each transfer.
|Purchase APR:||0% for 14 months, then 11.49% – 23.49% Variable|
|Features:||5% cash back on purchases within select categories up to the quarterly maximum; 1% on all other purchases|
|Credit Needed:||Excellent, Good, Average|
NextAdvisor Credit Cards Blog Headlines
- My Experience Getting a Discover it – Cashback Match Credit Card
When considering a new credit card, it’s important to look at what the card can do for you as well […]
- What’s the Best Credit Card for Your Lifestyle?
Like so many other things in life, credit cards are not one size fits all. Depending on a host of […]
- Earn Up to $350 Back with This Limited-Time Offer from American Express
American Express (a NextAdvisor advertiser) just added a stellar limited-time offer to two of it’s top-rated cash back credit cards. […]
- Starwood Preferred Guest Cardholders Can Now Get Up to 35,000 Bonus Points
Are you a fan of Starwood Hotels, which includes popular names like The Ritz-Carlton, the Marriott and the Sheraton? If so, […]