Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card Review
You'll earn 2 miles for every $1 you spend on all purchases - not just on purchases in certain categories but automatically on everything you buy with the card. This unilateral mile-earning structure makes it easy to know how many miles you're acquiring with each purchase. In addition you'll get 40,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months, equal to $400 in travel! That's a pretty hefty bonus for making the everyday purchases you'd probably already be making anyway.
When it comes time to redeem your rewards, the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card doesn't limit you to a single airline or hotel chain. Instead you can book the type of travel you want on any airline or hotel, from any site and with any agent. Just use your Venture Card to book the travel, and then use your earned miles as a statement credit against the travel you booked. Not only is it easy, but you don't need to have the entire value of the travel in miles to do it - if you booked $500 in travel you can redeem $200 in miles and pay the $300 difference. Or you can redeem $500 in miles and pay nothing (except the rest of your credit card statement, of course). Additionally there are no blackout dates or restrictions to worry about. There is a $59 annual fee, but it it is waived the first year.
Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card doesn't charge any foreign transaction fees when you make purchases outside the US. This is a big plus for international travelers, as those pesky fees (usually around 3% of your purchase) can add up very quickly. It also features chip technology, which provides extra security against fraud and is sometimes required by international vendors when making purchases.
As a cardholder, you'll receive a free TransUnion credit score each month. You'll also be notified whenever your TransUnion credit report changes, helping you to stay aware of updates to your report. Although this is an informational score not used for credit or lending decisions (and it doesn't include Equifax or Experian scores), it will give you a good idea of your current credit standing.
Users will also enjoy Visa Signature® benefits, including travel upgrades and savings, special access to events and extended warranty protection on items purchased with your card. And if you're a techie you'll appreciate the option to use Venture with Apple Pay to make purchases with your phone.
We highly recommend the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card for its flexible reward redemption, generous 2x point earning and high reward value. Features like no foreign transaction fees, a chip-enabled card, free monthly TransUnion scores and extended warranty protection help sweeten the pot. There is a $59 annual fee, but it's waived the first year so you can try it out free of charge the first 12 months to see if it's a good fit for you.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 40,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months, equal to $400 in travel
- Earn unlimited 2X miles per dollar on every purchase, every day
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime
- Travel when you want with no blackout dates
- Miles don't expire and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $59 after that
- The miles you can earn have no limit and no expiration.
- Earn double miles with every purchase toward free flights on any airline.
- Earn 40,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months, equal to $400 in travel.
- Fly on any airline, anytime with no blackout dates.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- Redeem rewards for travel, cash, gift cards, brand-name merchandise, and more.
- Redeem your miles for any travel expense in two ways: either by contacting the Capital One Rewards Center or by using your card to book your own travel online, over the phone, or in-person.
- Redemption rates for cash, gift cards, brand-name merchandise, and more vary and are subject to change without notice.
Fees and APR
- Annual Fee: $0 intro for first year; $59 after that.
- Foreign Transaction Fee: None.
- Purchase APR: 13.24% - 23.24% (Variable), depending on credit history.
- Balance Transfer APR: 13.24% - 23.24% (Variable), depending on credit history.
- Balance Transfer Fee: $0.
- Terms and Conditions
|Purchase APR:||13.24% - 23.24% (Variable)|
|Features:||Unlimited 2x miles on all purchases, one-time 40,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 in 1st 3 months|
|Annual Fee:||$0 intro for first year; $59 after that|
|Credit Needed:||Excellent, Good|
NextAdvisor Credit Cards Blog Headlines
- Best Credit Cards for Victims of Identity Theft
Identity theft is one of those crimes that packs quite a punch for its victims, and the effects can be […]
- Millennials and Credit Cards: NextAdvisor.com Survey Reveals What They Understand
The financial needs and habits of a person in their twenties who is either finishing up college or a full-time […]
- Walmart Sues Visa Over Chip-and-PIN Transactions: What You Need to Know
These days, it might seem like a lot of companies are going to court over consumer security. The trend started […]
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Getting a New Credit Card
Getting a new credit card is a big deal — whether it’s your first card ever, you want to open […]
Related Forum Posts
- Do balance transfers count toward the bonus on the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card?
Per the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card terms and conditions, "You will earn 2 miles per dollar on net purchases (purchases minus any[...]
- Is there a business card similar to Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card?
Yes, there is a Capital One business card available that is similar to the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card. The Capital One Spark Miles for[...]
- How do Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card miles work?
As you mentioned, Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card will earn 2 miles for each $1 you spend on purchases. So yes, per your example if you spend[...]
- How can I redeem miles earned through my Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card?
After purchasing airline tickets, simply log onto your Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card account to redeem your miles. Alternatively, you can[...]
- Can I gift my Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card miles to someone else?
Although you cannot gift your travel miles to someone else, you can use your Capital One Venture Rewards miles to book travel in someone else's name.[...]