Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express Review
In addition to a high point value, card holders will also enjoy a 25,000 point bonus after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months. Using the card for purchases will earn up to 5 points per $1 at participating hotels (2 points as a cardholder and 2-3 points as a SPG member), and 1 point per $1 on all other purchases.
Overall this is a very strong travel card that indicated a high hotel point redemption value in our Travel Rewards Analysis. It also has no foreign transaction fees and chip-and-PIN technology, making it easier and more cost-effective to use overseas. The annual fee is $95 (waived the first year), so that might be something to consider.
- Get 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on international purchases.
- Receive free in-room, premium internet access. Booking requirements apply.
- Enjoy complimentary, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi on up to four devices at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- Get free nights at over 1,200 hotels and resorts in nearly 100 countries with no blackout dates. Some hotels may have mandatory service and resort charges.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- No blackout dates.
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4 to 5 Starpoints for every dollar you spend at Starwood Preferred Guest Hotels and Resorts.
- Earn 1 Starpoint for every eligible dollar spent everywhere else.
- Redeem Starpoints for free nights at over 1,100 hotels & resorts in nearly 100 countries and for free flights on over 150 airlines with SPG Flights - all with no blackout dates.
- Hotel Redemption: Hotels in the Starwood quiver include Sheraton, The Westin, W, Le Meridien and the St. Regis. Each of these hotels fits into a category ranging from 1 to 7 based on decor, amenities, prestige and destination. Starwood lets customers know upfront the number of points required to receive a free night based on the category the hotel falls into. Category 1 hotels cost between 2,000 to 3,000 points a night while Category 7 hotels are 30,000 to 35,000 points. We found their published point costs to match the actual point costs when booking a room.
- Flight Point Redemption: Members can use Starpoints to purchase flights on a large variety of partner airlines, including Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, US Airways, United and Virgin Atlantic. Basically when users book flights on the Starwood site, their Starpoints are being exchanged for miles on the airline of their choice. Almost all airlines offer a 1 to 1 transfer ratio of Starpoints, except United and Continential who require 2 Starwood points for every mile.
Fees and APR
- Annual Fee: $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Purchase APR: 15.49%-19.49% Variable, based on creditworthiness.
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.49%-19.49% Variable, based on creditworthiness.
- Balance Transfer Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
- Foreign Transaction Fee: N/A
- Late Payment Fee: Up to $37
- Cash Advance Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater.
- APR for Cash Advances: 25.49%
- Penalty APR: 29.49%
- Returned Payment Fee: Up to $37.
|Purchase APR:||15.49%-19.49% Variable|
|Features:||2 Starpoints® per $1 of eligible purchases charged directly with hotels & resorts participating in SPG® program, 1 Starpoint® per $1 spent on eligible purchases. Terms apply.|
|Annual Fee:||$0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.|
|Credit Needed:||Excellent, Good|
NextAdvisor Credit Cards Blog Headlines
- Which Credit Cards Can I Qualify for if I Have Average Credit?
When it comes to credit ratings, not everyone is the same — some have excellent credit, while others have not-so-great […]
- Chase vs. Capital One: Which Unlimited Cash Back Credit Card is Best?
Choosing the perfect rewards credit card for your spending habits can sometimes be a challenge. While there are a handful […]
- What Happens to Debt When You Die?
Though it isn’t a topic many people like to talk about, we’re all going to die someday, and making preparations […]
- Best Credit Cards for New Business Owners
Whether you just started your own business or you’re planning to start one in the near future, a business credit […]