Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express Review
In addition to a high point value, card holders will also enjoy a 25,000 point bonus after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months. Using the card for purchases will earn up to 5 points per $1 at participating hotels (2 points as a cardholder and 2-3 points as a SPG member), and 1 point per $1 on all other purchases.
Overall this is a very strong travel card that indicated a high hotel point redemption value in our Travel Rewards Analysis. It also has no foreign transaction fees and chip-and-PIN technology, making it easier and more cost-effective to use overseas. The annual fee is $95 (waived the first year), so that might be something to consider.
Highlights From American Express
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases spent on the Card at participating SPG® & Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Receive free in-room, premium internet access. Booking requirements apply.
- Redeem Starpoints® at over 1,300 participating hotels and resorts in over 100 countries and for flights on more than 150 airlines with SPG flights, all with no blackout dates.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- No blackout dates.
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn 2 Starpoints for every eligible dollar spent on the Card at participating SPG & Marriott Rewards hotels. You can also earn an additional 2-3 points for each dollar spent at participating SPG & Marriott Rewards hotels if you're a SPG Member, so it makes sense to join.
- Earn 1 Starpoint for every eligible dollar spent everywhere else.
- Redeem Starpoints for free nights at over 1,300 hotels & resorts in nearly 100 countries and for free flights on over 150 airlines with SPG Flights - all with no blackout dates.
- Hotel Redemption: Hotels in the Starwood quiver include Sheraton, The Westin, W, Le Meridien and the St. Regis. Each of these hotels fits into a category ranging from 1 to 7 based on decor, amenities, prestige and destination. Starwood lets customers know upfront the number of points required to receive a free night based on the category the hotel falls into. Category 1 hotels cost between 2,000 to 3,000 points a night while Category 7 hotels are 30,000 to 35,000 points. We found their published point costs to match the actual point costs when booking a room.
- Flight Point Redemption: Members can use Starpoints to purchase flights on a large variety of partner airlines, including Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, US Airways, United and Virgin Atlantic. Basically when users book flights on the Starwood site, their Starpoints are being exchanged for miles on the airline of their choice. Almost all airlines offer a 1 to 1 transfer ratio of Starpoints, except United and Continential who require 2 Starwood points for every mile.
Fees and APR
- Annual Fee: $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Purchase APR: 15.74%-19.74% Variable, based on creditworthiness.
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.74%-19.74% Variable, based on creditworthiness.
- Balance Transfer Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
- Foreign Transaction Fee: N/A
- Late Payment Fee: Up to $38
- Cash Advance Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater.
- APR for Cash Advances: 25.74%
- Penalty APR: 29.74%
- Returned Payment Fee: Up to $38.
|Purchase APR:||15.74%-19.74% Variable|
|Features:||2 Starpoints® per $1 of eligible purchases charged directly with hotels & resorts participating in SPG® program, 1 Starpoint® per $1 spent on eligible purchases. Terms apply.|
|Annual Fee:||$0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.|
|Credit Needed:||Excellent, Good|
NextAdvisor Credit Cards Blog Headlines
- What are Your Options for Dealing with a Debt Collector?
Having a debt in collections is no fun for many reasons, but most of all because debt collectors have the […]
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Points with the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card
When it comes to choosing a travel rewards credit card, if you are a loyal customer of a specific airline, […]
- 6 Ways Credit Affects Your Everyday Life
Credit is like an invisible shadow that follows each of us around throughout our lives. For those who have good […]
- How Can I Maintain Good Credit?
We talk a lot about improving less-than-stellar credit, but continuing to maintain good credit once you’ve worked to build it […]