Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express Review
You'll earn 6% back at supermarkets - the highest cash back rate we've seen, making the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express a terrific choice for anyone who spends a significant amount on groceries. You'll also get a generous 5% back on eligible travel purchases made in the first 6 months you have the card (up to a maximum of $200 cash back, then you'll earn the standard 1% back). Additionally, commuters and others can take advantage of the generous 3% on gas, and shoppers everywhere will appreciate an unlimited 3% back at select department stores like JCP, Kohls, Macys, Sears and Nordstrom. The card does have a $95 annual fee, but if you have the spending habits of most people you'll more than earn it back each year (to find out for sure use our free Cash Back Credit Card Calculator).
Blue Cash Preferred's 12-month 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers is great way to save money on interest fees for over a year. With this no-interest APR you can make purchases now and pay absolutely zero interest for 12 months. You can also transfer your balances from other high-APR cards to this one, taking advantage of the 0% APR to pay down your balance and save some money on interest fees. There is a 3% balance transfer fee, but depending on how much interest you're currently paying and how much it might cost you to transfer your balance to this card it could be worth it.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express also features chip-enabled technology, allowing you to make international purchases easily. Non-U.S. countries are requiring this technology with a greater frequency, so having it allows you to make the purchases you want without an issue. Note that this card does charge a 2.7% foreign transaction fee on all purchases made outside the U.S., so it's important to take that into consideration.
In sum, this is a terrific cash back card with generous rewards and a lengthy 0% intro APR on balance transfers and purchases. It will particularly appeal to those who spend more on groceries, gas and department stores.
- Special Offer - Earn 5% cash back on eligible travel purchases in the first 6 months, up to $200.
- Plus, earn $150 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- You will receive cash back in the form of statement credits.
- Everyday Cash Back: 6% at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%); 3% at U.S. gas stations; 1% other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No rotating reward categories. No enrollment required.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit. You can only earn cash back on eligible purchases.
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months, then a variable rate, currently 13.24% to 23.24%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- Get $150 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. You will receive $150 back in the form of a statement credit
- Earn 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (excluding superstores and warehouse clubs) up to $6,000. After the first $6,000 of purchases in a calendar year users will earn 1% cash back.
- Earn 3% at U.S. gas stations and select department stores.
- Earn 1% on all other eligible purchases.
- Unlimited cash back rewards (6% cash back on groceries is capped at $6K annually, after that you'll earn 1%).
- Redeem reward dollars for statement credits in increments of $25 whenever your total available reward dollar balance is $25 or more.
- Minimum redemption is 25 reward dollars.
Fees and APR
- Annual Fee: $95
- Purchase APR: 0% on Purchases for 12 months, then 13.24%-23.24% Variable, based on creditworthiness.
- Balance Transfer APR: 0% on Balance Transfers for 12 months, then 13.24%-23.24% Variable, based on creditworthiness.
- Balance Transfer Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 2.7% of each transaction after conversion to US dollars.
- Late Payment Fee: Up to $37
- Cash Advance Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater.
- APR for Cash Advances: 25.49%
- Penalty APR: 29.49%
- Returned Payment Fee: Up to $37.
|Purchase APR:||0% on Purchases for 12 months, then 13.24%-23.24% Variable|
|Features:||Earn 6% cash back at US supermarkets (up to $6K), 5% back on travel purchases made in first 6 mos (max of $200 back), 3% back on US gas & select US dept stores; 1% back on other purchases. $150 intro bonus after spending $1K in first 3 mos. Terms apply.|
|Credit Needed:||Excellent, Good|
NextAdvisor Credit Cards Blog Headlines
- Best Credit Cards for New Business Owners
Whether you just started your own business or you’re planning to start one in the near future, a business credit […]
- Best Rewards Credit Cards with No Annual Fees
With so many credit cards offering all different types of incentives, such as cash back rewards and travel points, it […]
- Share Your Opinion for a Chance to Win $500!
Have you used NextAdvisor’s free research and reviews? If so, we want to hear about it. Share your feedback and […]
- Top 3 Credit Cards for Customer Satisfaction
Is your credit card working for you, earning you all it should and making you happy? An important component of […]
Related Forum Posts
- Can you use Blue Cash Preferred from American Express at Costco?
Yes, currently Costco accepts American Express cards so you can use Blue Cash Preferred from American Express at Costco. You will earn the standard 1%[...]
- Does Costco earn 6% with the Blue Cash Preferred from American Express?
Per the American Express site for Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express, "warehouses clubs (e.g. Costco) and big box stores (e.g.[...]
- How do I apply for Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express?
It's easy to apply for the Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express. Just go to the review page link shown below, and click on the Apply link in[...]
- What gas stations earn 3% with the Blue Cash Preferred from American Express?
According to the Blue Cash Preferred from American Express card terms and conditions, you'll earn "3% on eligible purchases of gasoline at gas[...]
- Do have to pay your full balance each month with Blue Cash Preferred from American Express?
No, you don't have to pay your entire balance each month with the Blue Cash Preferred from American Express. You will receive a bill each month with a[...]