Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express Review
This card stands out from its competition by always offering 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 in purchases, after that 1%). You'll also earn 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores like JCP, Sears, Nordstrom and Macy's, and all your other purchases will earn 1% cash back. And as a special offer, you'll earn 10% back on Amazon.com purchases during the first 6 months you have the card, up to a maximum of $200 cash back. All this, and there is a $100 cash back bonus after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months you have the card. Or, if you're interested in a card that provides 6% back at U.S. supermarkets (up to $6K in purchases), and a $150 intro bonus, check out the Blue Cash Preferred from American Express. This card will particularly appeal to anyone who spends a decent amount at supermarkets and gas stations, as well as those who plan to shop at Amazon.com in the first 6 months they have the card. The fact that you earn this cash back automatically is particularly convenient, as some other cash back cards require you to sign up each quarter to receive additional cash back percentages.
If you're carrying a balance on another high-interest card, you can move it over to the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express and enjoy an interest-free 12 months, which can save you a bunch of money. Note that there is a 3% balance transfer fee, but it could be worth it - particularly if you're paying enough interest currently. To find out, use our free Balance Transfer Calculator which will do all the math for you and display how much you can save with each card. You can also utilize the 12-month 0% on purchases, not paying any interest for over a year on new purchases.
In addition you'll get great AmEx perks like roadside assistance, car rental insurance and travel accident insurance. Plus your purchases will be safeguarded by purchase protection, extended warranty and return protection. You'll also enjoy exclusive access to ticket presales and cardmember-only events.
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express is a terrific combination of cash back rewards with $100 intro bonus and a 12-month 0% intro APR on balance transfers and purchases. Not to mention there is no annual fee. If you use a credit card frequently at supermarkets, gas stations and department stores, Blue Cash Everyday may be your best choice.
Highlights From American Express
- Apply by 1/11/2017- Earn 10% cash back on purchases at Amazon.com in the first 6 months, up to $200.
- Plus, earn $100 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new card within the first 3 months.
- You will receive cash back in the form of statement credits.
- Everyday Cash Back: 3% at U.S supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%); 2% at U.S gas stations; 1% on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No rotating reward categories. No enrollment required.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit. You can only earn cash back on eligible purchases.
- No annual fee. Plus, 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months, then a variable rate, currently 13.24% to 23.24%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- Unlimited cash back rewards.
- Get $100 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. You will receive $100 back in the form of a statement credit.
- Earn 10% cash back at Amazon.com in the first 6 months you have the card (up to $200 max cash back).
- Earn 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (excluding superstores and warehouse clubs) up to $6,000. After the first $6,000 of purchases in a calendar year users will earn 1% cash back.
- Earn 2% at U.S. gas stations and department stores.
- Earn 1% on all other eligible purchases.
- Redeem reward dollars for statement credits in increments of $25 whenever your total available reward dollar balance is $25 or more.
Fees and APR
- Annual Fee: $0
- Purchase APR: 0% on Purchases for 12 months, then 13.24%-23.24% Variable, based on creditworthiness.
- Balance Transfer APR: 0% on Balance Transfers for 12 months, then 13.24%-23.24% Variable, based on creditworthiness.
- Balance Transfer Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 2.7% of each transaction after conversion to US dollars.
- Late Payment Fee: Up to $38
- Cash Advance Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater.
- APR for Cash Advances: 25.49%
- Penalty APR: 29.49%
- Returned Payment Fee: Up to $38.
|Purchase APR:||0% on Purchases for 12 months, then 13.24%-23.24% Variable|
|Features:||Earn 10% back at Amazon.com in first 6 months (up to $200 back), 3% cash back at US supermarkets (up to $6K), 2% cash back on US gas & select dept stores; 1% cash back on other purchases. $100 bonus after spending $1K in first 3 mos. Terms apply.|
|Credit Needed:||Excellent, Good|
NextAdvisor Credit Cards Blog Headlines
- Which Wells Fargo Credit Card is Best for You?
If you’re a Wells Fargo customer (or planning to become one), you might be considering getting a credit card with […]
- What You Need to Know About Credit Card Authorized Users
Most credit cards come with more perks and features than you might realize, such as travel benefits like roadside assistance […]
- Discover Extends Its 0% Intro APR Period to 14 Months
Discover just lengthened the 0% intro APR period for a number of its credit cards from 12 months to 14 […]
- Best Cash Back Credit Cards for Everyday Purchases
Groceries, gas and dining out are some of the biggest and most common expenses in our budgets. While you may […]
Related Forum Posts
- How much will I earn at gas stations?
Sorry for the confusion, Patrick! The Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express earns 3% back at U.S. supermarkets (up to $6,000/year in[...]
- Can I turn in my existing card for this one?
Thank you for your question, Carolyn! It depends on the type of card you currently have. For example, if you have the Blue Cash Everyday Card from[...]
- Does this card earn 6% or 3% at grocery stores?
Great question, Terry! When we talk about 6% back at grocery stores (up to $6,000/year in purchases), we're talking about the Blue Cash Preferred Card[...]
- Can I transfer my Amex membership to the Blue Cash Everyday Card?
Great question, Peter! Unfortunately, if you wish to receive the welcome bonus offer, you will need to apply for the card separately since your Gold[...]
- Will I earn 3% at local grocery stores?
Great question, Pam! Since we don't know the names of the stores in your area, we can't say for sure whether or not you'll get cash back when you shop[...]