For all you zombie fanatics out there, the hit book and soon to be movie World War Z is now an audiobook through Audible.com. The book, written by Max Brooks who is a zombie enthusiast and son of the legendary film star Mel Brooks, is a post-apocalyptic horror novel following up on his previous book The Zombie Survival Guide. The book is written in a collection of small passages and takes a look at the zombie apocalypse from various different lenses of environmental, religious and geo-political accounts.
This audio book is a great segway into the upcoming movie that comes out this June starring Brad Pitt. The audio book version of World War Z is narrated by Max Brooks, Alan Alda, John Turturro, Rob Reiner, Mark Hamill, Alfred Molina, Simon Pegg, Henry Rollins, and Martin Scorsese. This star studded lineup of narrators helps to bring a lot of life and character to this audio book and makes it one of our top choices.
The regular price of this audiobook usually runs around $28.00 but through Audible.com you can listen to it for the low price of $7.49. If you are interested but were looking for some more information on Audible, you can find a full comprehensive reviews on the whole service here.
Booksfree is a great service for any book lover. The service is very similar to how Netflix works with its dvd rentals via mail, except for Booksfree you are receiving books and/or audio book CDs. This service is one of the best that we researched, getting a five star rating in our comprehensive review. With Booksfree you can take out anywhere from 2 to 6 books or CDs at a time, with prices starting at $28.49/month and ranging up to $75.49/month. They also offer a a large selection of more than 36,000 titles available.
Right now NextAdvisor is offering a special discount of 60% off the first month of service for those who sign up through the NextAdvisor website. To redeem the discount, follow this link and type in promo code SAS to receive your discount. While there, you can also check out a variety of other services and discounts that we offer.
This summer, The Great Gatsby will be coming to a theatre near you. The new movie staring Leonardo DiCaprio is poised to be a blockbuster sensation, so why not listen to it on audiobook before it's released in theaters.
The Great Gatsby is widely regarded as one of the best American classics of all time. Taking place during the roaring twenties, the book is full of mystique, intrigue and nostalgia.
Don't have time to read the book before the movie comes out? Audiobooks are a great option to listen to books while on the go. We have reviewed a number of the top Audioboook services and can help you find the best fit for reliving this classic book.
Audible.com: Audible is one of the best Audiobook services that we've reviewed. They have the largest selection of titles out of all the services, as well as top-quality audio which can be downloaded on any device. Currently Audible is running an offer where you can get the Gold Monthly membership for $7.49/month for the first three months. You will receive 1 credit a month, which is good for 1 book regardless of the price. Other benefits include a 30% discount on additional purchases made without credits.
Audiobooks.com: With Audiobooks.com, you can sign up for various different plans that each allot you a specific number of books. Plans start at 1 book a month for $14.95/month and range up to $29.95/month for unlimited books. Audiobooks.com has a good selection of titles to choose from and can be streamed to just about any device.
Booksfree.com: Booksfree.com is a bit of a different service then Audible and Audiobooks. Instead of getting the audiobooks via mp3, you have the option of of getting paperback books, audiobook CD's or both shipped to your house. Pricing starts at $14.99/month for 2 at a time and ranges up to $51.99/month for 15 at a time. They have a great selection of titles with both new and classic titles. It's a great way to read/listen to a lot of books if you are a big book worm.
Hopefully these services can help you find the best way to familiarize yourself with The Great Gatsby before it's released in May. If you're looking for more options for audiobook services, check out our full reviews here, where you can see how they all stack up.
Have you been interested in trying out audiobooks? With Audible.com, you can now try it out free for 30 days when you sign up for their gold plan.
Out of all the the audiobook services, we found that Audible.com offers the best and biggest selection overall. They offer close to 100,000+ audiobook titles and are still growing. Along with their amazing selection, you get the ability to us Audible across devices like iPhone, iPad, Android and Windows phone, so Audible is always with you. Add the Audible app to download books wirelessly onto any device and then sync that device so you can listen to your books on the go.
Right now through NextAdvisor, you can get a special discount of 50% off of the first three months of service with Audible. This discount will bring the monthly cost down to $7.49/month from $14.95/month. All you need to do is sign up now through the link in the Audible review on the NextAdvisor website. To learn more about Audible and their service, check out our full comprehensive review here.
Need a little extra spending cash for the summer months? We are giving away a total of $500 to 4 of our lucky Google+ followers! We will be drawing 4 winners over the course of a month. The first winner, picked March 22, will win $50. The second winner, picked on March 29, will win $100. The third winner, picked on April 5, will win $150. And the last winner, picked on April 12, will win $200. You must follow all instructions below to enter. Good luck!
First, follow us on Google+:
Next, answer a few questions for us:
(OPTIONAL) Enter your email to sign up for our newsletter
Terms and Conditions for NextAdvisor $500 Giveaway
- To be eligible, participants must fill out the survey by the closing date, April 11, 2013 at midnight PST.
- No purchase is necessary to participate in this contest. Participants who don’t have Facebook or Internet access can send a postcard with their name and address to 1110 Burlingame Ave. Suite 201, Burlingame, CA 94010
- Anyone over the age of 18
- Each participant may enter only once. All additional entries will be disqualified
- Participants must be citizens of the United States and must have a valid ID and U.S. mailing address to apply.
- Contest opens: March 13, 2013
- Contest closing: April 11, 2013
- Drawing of winner: March 22, 2011; March 29, 2011; April 5, 2011; Grand Prize: April 12, 2011
- There will be a $50 prize (March 22), a $100 prize (March 29), a $150 prize (April 5) and a $200 prize (April 12). (All prizes are in USD.)
- The Sponsor and Promoter of this Contest is NextAdvisor Inc.
- Participants may not be employees of NextAdvisor, connected advertising and promotional agencies and their respective affiliates and associates or such employees' immediate family members and persons with whom such employees reside.
- NextAdvisor retains the right to extend or alter the contest including closing date without prior notification.
- Incomplete entries will be disqualified.
- Proof of identity must be produced on request.
- Decision of the winner is final. No correspondence will be entered into except with the winning entrants.
- By claiming the prize, the winners authorize the use, without additional compensation, of his or her name for use in promotional/advertising efforts in any medium (including and without limitation, radio broadcasts, newspapers and other publications in television or film releases, slides, videotape, and distribution over the internet) which NextAdvisor may deem appropriate.
- In accepting the prize, the winner acknowledges that NextAdvisor may not be held liable for any loss or damage associated with accepting or using the prize.
- By submitting an entry, participants acknowledge their acceptance and understanding of these rules.
- Any false information provided within the context of the contest by any participant concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address, ownership of rights or non-compliance with these or the like may result in the immediate elimination of the participant from the contest.
- NextAdvisor reserves the right in its sole and unfettered discretion at its sole discretion to choose winners.
- NextAdvisor further reserves the right to disqualify any entry that it believes in its sole and unfettered discretion infringes the rights of any third party, otherwise does not comply with these Official Rules, or violates law.
- NextAdvisor further reserves the right to disqualify any participant who tampers with the submission process or any other part of the contest. Any attempt by a participant to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made and NextAdvisor reserves the right to seek damages from any such participant to the fullest extent of the applicable law.
- NextAdvisor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest.
- This contest is subject to all federal laws of the United States of America. These rules shall be governed by, subject to, and construed in accordance with federal laws. If any provision(s) of these Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
We all remember how Dr. Seuss was able to capture our imagination and curiosity as a child. As one of the most celebrated children's book authors of all time, Seuss was able to create vivid and fascinating imaginary worlds through his playful and well crafted rhymes. His books' ageless quality span across numerous generations and continue to top best sellers charts even today.
March 2 is recognized as the official "Dr.Seuss Day" falling on the influential author's birthday. To celebrate the life and career of Dr. Seuss, here are the best audiobook options for reliving these timeless classics.
Audible.com: The Audible website offers the most titles out of the the three we reviewed. With 24 total titles in all, Audible offers nearly all of Dr. Seuss' most famous works with subscription to the service. Right now, Audible offers NextAdvisor readers 50% off their first three months, bringing the price down to just $7.49 per month for one book a month. There are also two collections to choose from that both offer nine of Seuss's best sellers. Both of these collections feature narration from notable hollywood actors such as Kelsey Grammer, John Cleese, John Lithgow, and Billy Crystal.
Audiobooks.com: Audiobooks.com offers slightly less than Audible with 21 titles by Seuss. However they do offer all the classic and notable titles with The Cat in the Hat, Horton Hears a Who, Green Eggs and Ham, as well as many others. With Audiobooks.com, there are two subscription options. For $14.95 per month, you can stream one book per month to your computer or a mobile device. Or you can upgrade to a two book plan for $22.05 per month. With a wide range of Dr. Seuss titles, Audiobooks.com is a viable option for reliving your childhood Dr. Seuss memories.
Booksfree.com: Though the Booksfree service does not offer any of Seuss' works they do offer several biographies on the authors life. For a flat fee of $23.95 per month, you'll have access to all of these titles along with the entire Booksfree database. If you are looking to learn more about the historic life and career of Dr.Seuss the Booksfree service is a great way to go.
Q: I only listen to audiobooks in my car. Will Audible.com work for me?
A: Out of the various audiobooks sites out there, Audible has the the largest download library, which includes more than 100,000 audiobook titles. If you do most of your listening while you drive, no worries — it is super easy to get your audiobook from your computer and into your car:
• If your newer car features an auxiliary input, then you can simply transfer the MP3 file to your smartphone, iPod or MP3 player, plug the device into the auxiliary input with an auxiliary cable and you're good to go.
• If your car doesn't have an auxiliary input and/or you don't own a smartphone, iPod or MP3 player, just burn the audiobook MP3 file onto a CD and pop it into your car stereo. You can burn CDs using iTunes on both the Mac and the PC or you can use Windows Media Player on the PC.
• If you'd rather have audiobook CDs shipped to you, then take a look at our review for Booksfree, which offers free shipping and a larger selection than audiobook CD rental competitor, Simply Audiobooks
Currently, Audible is offering NextAdvisor readers a 50% discount for 3 months. This means your Audible subscription will cost just $7.49/month for the first 3 months, and $14.95/month thereafter. As an added bonus, all subscribers get a free daily audio subscription to the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal, roughly an hour of listening content per day. Check out our full review of Audible and sign up here.
Want to check out the "Beautiful Creatures" book before seeing the movie but afraid you won't have time to finish? You can get the audiobook version of the popular book for free or cheap through one of the audiobook services we review.
The bestseller by Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia centers around Ethan Wate, who lives in the tiny town of Gatlin, South Carolina. Strange things start happening to Ethan when the new girl, Lena, shows up at his school. The book explores the relationship between Ethan and Lena and chronicles the strange happenings that surround Lena and her family.
Audible.com: New subscribers can get “Beautiful Creatures” for just $7.49 (regularly $27.97). That's the introductory price of the subscription service, which includes one monthly credit good for one book as well as 30% off all other books. One book a month might not seem like much for a voracious listener, but the deal includes additional reading in the form of a daily subscription to the The New York Times or The Wall Street Journal. After three months, the membership goes up to $14.95 a month, which is still less than the cost of “Beautiful Creatures” without a membership. Click here to download the audiobook!
Audiobooks.com: You can get "Beautiful Creatures" for free with Audiobooks.com. The site offers a 7-day free trial and your first book is free to listen to. After that, the price for the service is $14.95/month. Check out our review of Audiobooks.com here!
iTunes: iTunes offers the "Beautiful Creatures" audiobook with no subscription plan for $17.95. This is a great choice for casual listeners who are Apple fans as you can only listen to the book on the iPod, iPhone, iPad, or a computer with iTunes installed. Click here to download the “Beautiful Creatures” audiobook!
Q: I'm thinking of signing up for an audiobook subscription, but I want to have the best selection possible. Which site has the largest library of titles to choose from?
A: By a pretty wide margin, Audible.com has the biggest selection of audiobooks. Since the company is part of Amazon.com, you can also find Audible titles there and on iTunes (though you'll probably get a much better deal as an Audible member than you will if you purchase the books individually from Amazon or iTunes). Audible currently boasts more than 100,000 audio programs.
Q: I recently got a Kindle, and I noticed the option to use something called Whispersync when buying a book in the Kindle store. What's the deal with that?
A: Good question! Whispersync is a cool collaboration between Audible and Kindle that allows you to switch back and forth between reading a book on your Kindle, computer, or another device with a Kindle app and listening to the audiobook. When you buy a book that offers whispersync from Amazon, you can choose the option to add narration, usually for just a few dollars. Then you'll have access to the audiobook version of that book, and Amazon will continually sync your place in the Kindle version with that same spot in the audio version.
This means you can read a few chapters on your Kindle, then listen to the next few on your iPhone at the gym, and then switch back to the Kindle version when you get home without having to page forward or search for the right spot in the audiobook–Whispersync has that covered for you. If you have one of the new Kindle Fire generation, you can even read and listen at the same time with Whispersync's Immersion Reading mode.
Want to try it out for free? Right now you can test out Whispersync when you buy the free Kindle version of one of a selection of classics on Amazon and add Whispersync from Audible for free. There are 10 classic novels currently offering free Whispersync, including The Three Musketeers, The Wizard of Oz, Heart of Darkness, and Jane Eyre.
Disclosure: NextAdvisor.com is a consumer information site that offers free, independent reviews and ratings of online services. We receive advertising revenue from most of the services we review. Our editors thoroughly research and whenever possible test each service we review and offer their honest opinions about each one. We are independently owned and operated and all opinions expressed on this site are our own.