Some people think that copying their important files onto an external hard drive or USB is enough precaution for backing up their computer. But the reality is, there is a much safer way to prevent data loss, and it's called Online Backup. While there are some benefits to adding your files to a USB drive, the perks of online backup extend far beyond them, essentially allowing you to scratch the USB drag and drop session off your to-do list. Online backup offers loss prevention, ease, security and accessibility — not to mention, any files you make changes to will be automatically updated online.
Here are 7 reasons why online backup trumps the external drive:
1. USBs are small and can be easily lost or stolen. And what if your 5 year old nephew accidentally spills Orange juice on the hard drive sitting on your desk? Online backup can neither be lost, nor spilled on.
2. With online backup, you don't need any extra hardware, just an Internet connection. With a couple of clicks, your entire computer will be backed up and all of your files will be securely stored on the Internet.
3. Online backup works silently in the background, incrementally checking your computer for new files to back up and store online. After the initial backup, you'll hardly have to lift a finger and your files will be backing up every day, or even every hour.
4. Accessibility. On vacation and need access to files on your home computer? You can instantly download files anytime, anywhere with an Internet connection by logging into your online backup account, even on your smartphone.
5. If you make changes to a file that's already backed up on your USB or external hard drive, you will have to re-copy and paste it again. With online backup, changes will automatically show up in your account.
6. Online backup is the ultimate re-do button. You can view multiple versions of updated files. There will be no more worrying about entire 7 page essays suddenly evaporating.
7. Some services, especially those featured in our cloud storage reviews, allow you to sync files across all of your computers and the web. That way, any changes you make to a file or folder will instantly show up on another computer, on the web and on your phone.
Now that you're ready to sign up for online backup, check out our reviews of the top services so you can find the right provider for your needs and budget. If you're interested in online backup that offers multiple computer file syncing, be sure to check out our cloud storage reviews as well.Cloud Storage, Online Backup Services